Friday 11 November 2011

The rest of the subway's disadvantages

So, as I said in the previous post, the Underground requires huge costs, but there are also several things I was disgusted by.
The first one - the most impressive one - is mice in the rail. When I was waiting for the train in the platform in the Central line, my eyes caught a small white thing moving across the railway, and it had a long tail. I don't know whether it was a rat or a mouse, but I thought I would barf on the spot. I don't like insects and rodents much, and seeing them in a public place makes it more disgusting. For 8 years I've lived in Moscow and have never seen rats or whatever it was in the subway.

Not only rodents like to warm up in the Tube, but we also have pigeons in wagons. I'm not sure if it's hygienically normal, but the other thing is that they don't have to pay for using the Underground service. That's unfair.
In the Metropolitan line, which I travel in, the wagons have long seats, located in pairs, opposite for its pair. There is a note on the window saying to keep feet off the opposite seat. I've always thought Englishry are the only people in the world who don't break a single rule, but to my surprise, I've noticed that almost all the local youngsters put their damn feet on the seats! Where's the English politeness and respect?! I'm let down, guys.


The advantage of the British trains is their quietness, unlike old Soviet trains, so you can speak to your partner on your normal voice. But while Russians have to shout out loud to get their speech across their partner, English shout, too. And if it's hardly been heard by Russians while speaking, then Briton is heard like by the whole wagon. That's disappointing, too. I don't know why they shout, is it just to show off or what? the most interesting thing here is that the speech of this great orator can be about whatever: how to get a cheaper beer in the pub, for instance.